Mobile Phone Program FAQs

Tags RC-Admin

Transferring to Teams

Q: How do I migrate a University phone number to Teams?

A: Request help via the Technology Help Desk. In the subject, enter “Request migration to teams.” Within the next business day, a telecom analyst will respond to your request.

Q: Can a cell phone number be ported to Teams?

A: No. Porting a cellular number to Teams creates limitations such as no text messaging functionality and outbound calls only displaying the University Teams phone number There are also concerns with advertising phone numbers that don’t have the same format as other Pitt numbers (e.g., 412-624, 412-383, 412-647, 412-648).

Q: How do I know if my Pitt landline has been migrated to Teams?

A: Open Teams on your computer and go to the calls tab.  If a phone number is shown, it is a Teams number.

Q: If I have a Teams number, how do I install Teams on my cell phone?

A: Install the Teams app on the phone to send and receive phone calls from the University phone number.

Q: Do I need a second SIM card in my cell phone to run Teams?

A: No. Because Teams utilizes the internet for phone calls, there is no need for an additional SIM card or an additional line of service with the cellular provider.

Q: Is a VPN or other security applications required to be installed on a personal phone?

A: No. Therefore, Pitt IT has no access to data outside of the Teams application.

Q: Can you get a Teams number that can be answered/shared by different people and not assigned to an individual?

A: Departmental phone numbers can be added to Teams and directed to the appropriate personnel through several methods. A consultation with a Pitt IT telecom analyst is required.

Q: Can I text from Teams?

A:  No. Traditional SMS/MMS text messaging is not available with Teams. Teams chatting to other Teams users is available. 

Personal Accounts

Q: Can I transfer my University cell number to a personal account?

A: Yes. The University will permit a cell number to be transferred to a personal account by following the instructions provided.

Q: What happens to the phone and phone line during the window between the time it is released by Pitt IT and the time the staff member makes the transition to their personal plan?

A: Nothing happens during the transition. The phone service remains active to make calls, texts, etc. Once the transfer is complete, the user takes responsibility for the phone number and service.

As a reminder, the transfer must be done within 30 of the user receiving an email from Pitt IT informing them that the line has been released.

Q: Will going to the Verizon, AT&T, or T-Mobile store expedite the process?

A: No. Because the phone is currently under the University’s corporate account, the fastest, most efficient way to transfer a number to a personal account is to follow the instructions provided.

Data Access

Q: Does Pitt IT have access to sensitive personal information such as photos, emails, search history, credit card or financial information on a personal phone?

A: No. Pitt IT has no access to a personal phone.

Q: Can Pitt IT access and wipe data from a personal phone?

A: No. Pitt IT does not have access to a personal phone. Phone calls, texts, voicemail audio, and transcribed voice messages outside of Teams are private. Calls and chats over the Teams application utilize the University’s communications system.

Additional Considerations

Q: If I have technical questions, how do I arrange a consultation with Pitt IT Telecom?

A: Request help via the Technology Help Desk. In the subject, enter “Request technical consultation for porting cellular number.” A telecom analyst will respond to your request within the next business day to establish a consultation date/time.

Q: I’m having issues filling out the forms in Docusign for the Mobile Phone Program. What should I do?

A: Please submit an online inquiry to Purchase, Pay & Travel, email your question to, or call +1-412-624-3578 and request an inquiry ticket be placed for the Mobile Phone Team.

Q: Who is responsible for damage to Tier I and Tier II phones?

A: In general, the T&B Policy (FN28) is currently in process to define this. Tier I phones, which are to be used 100% for University business, should be replaced by the department.

For Tier II phones, the current policy is silent. We recommend that the University/RC/department does not reimburse for damage to personal cell phones. An exception can be made with department approval if the phone holder was working on campus, in travel status while working, or working in an area with potential hazards for cell usage. The decision is up to the department's discretion with the appropriate exception approvals (per policy).

Note: University insurance policies would not typically cover loss of employee personal property. Also, a cell phone would not meet our current deductible amounts.

Q: In rare instances, a project might go to litigation or mediation, is the personal devices used for Pitt business accessible by the University?

A: For Tier I phones, the University would collect the phone and image it for litigation since it’s a University-owned device.

For personal devices, the phone holder would be sent a litigation hold questionnaire upon every new matter filed asking if the phone holder has any relevant text messages or other information (on any device) related to the matter. If they do, they are asked to screenshot or otherwise transmit the information to OUC’s litigation counsel (rather than collecting and imaging their personal device).

Additional Resources

Print Article


Article ID: 564
Mon 12/4/23 11:54 AM
Tue 5/14/24 2:09 PM

Related Services / Offerings (1)

TELEPHONY Voice and Data Services provides local calling plans, on-campus phone lines, off-campus business lines, toll free numbers and voicemail.